San Francisco’s Exposition Organ is one of the last remaining vestiges from the Panama-Pacific International Exposition of 1915. Considered a prime example of the art of symphonic organ building, this 40-ton treasure has been heard by hundreds-of-thousands of people and has played a pivotal role in San Francisco's musical culture for almost 100 years.
Immediately following the close of the World’s Fair, the instrument was endowed to the city of San Francisco in perpetuity and moved to the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium where it was rededicated in 1917 by the most famous organist of the early 20th century; Edwin H. Lemare.
In 1989, the Loma-Prieta earthquake damaged the organ rendering it inoperable. The Exposition Organ was removed for repairs and now fully restored is ready to be erected and heard again by citizens and tourists alike. Friends of the Exposition Organ is leading the movement to bring this instrument back to public use as a leading tourist attraction in San Francisco. We invite you to join us.